The rate of divorce in the United States has held steady at about 50% for the last decade. However for couples who can align on the 4 top indicators of divorce, that statistic drops to roughly 9% likelihood of divorce. I like those odds a lot better, don’t you?
Here is what to expect in marriage preparation sessions with me.
- Marriage preparation is done in 5 session of 90 minutes each.
- We can meet face-to-face in my office in downtown Rochester MI, or we can meet through video conference.
- Before we meet, I will send each of you the Prepare/Enrich Assessment to complete online independently. Over the phone I will ask you which version of the assessment you would like to be sent- secular, Christian, or Catholic version. The results of the assessment will be our roadmap.
- The first meeting will be spent 1) reviewing your unique results and 2) educating you on the essential skills that indicate success in marriage.
- The following sessions use 4 different skill-building exercises (one per meeting) tailored to the results of your assessment. My goal is to address the 4 indicators of divorce within your relationship, and practice the skills needed to manage those topics.
- I will also send you home with a recommended reading list of books to support your marriage journey.
I just want to clarify, is not therapy. I am not assuming there is a problem in your relationship that we are trying to “fix”. Actually, I am assuming that there are tremendous strengths and skills in your relationship! This prep work is value-added, so you can think of our time like coaching or workshopping. You are gaining new knowledge and practicing skills. It is not therapy, and I will not provide a diagnosis. For this reason, marriage preparation is never covered by insurance. The out-of-pocket cost is the standard rate for 90 minute session of $150.